Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Go ahead, steal my stuff

I finally got around to getting Renter's Insurance for my new apartment in Brooklyn. Mostly what prompted this was an attempted break-in at our building. As far as I know, nothing was taken from anyone's apartment, but it was still worrisome to see the two doors to our building looking as if someone took a crowbar to them. The first door is made of thick metal, but the person seems to have made it through. The second door is a regular wooden door, but I don't think the perp (great word, huh?) made it through that one. That sounds odd, I know, but the marks on the wooden door where they stuck the crowbar are above the doorknob and the lock itself wasn't broken or bent. I have the feeling that they got through the metal door and were trying the wooden one when they were seen, so they took off without continuing.
This all leads back to me getting insurance on the apartment or, more accurately, on our stuff in the apartment. Through my company I was able to get a decent rate and now have coverage for up to $20,000 worth of damage/stolen goods. At first this seemed like an adequate amount to me. $20,000 is a lot of money. Someone would have to steal a whole lot of our shit in order to get up to that amount. But now that I think about it more, it's really not that much at all. If there were ever a fire in the building and everything was destroyed, the cost to replace all of the stuff that we have would be much more than that. I think my CDs alone would top $20,000. This being said, I ask you all (if you don't mind sharing) what kind of insurance/coverage you have for your property. I know that some of you have your own houses and would have very different insurance, but if you can give me an idea of what you think a good amount of coverage would be, I'd appreciate it. My guess is that I should probably double (or even triple) the amount of coverage. But I don't really know for sure, so I'm putting it out there.

3 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

My stepbrother is my insurance agent. He insists our coverage is "more than adequate". I'm not exactly sure how much it is, but you can bet I'll be checking now! I have thousands in fabric alone.

So . . . now that you are talking about big people money things, are you getting closer to taking advantage of The Company's dollar-for-dollar offer for putting 3% of your earnings in a 401K??? ; )

4:13 PM  
Blogger Spec said...

I am indeed now enrolled in the 401k program. Thanks to you and JP, I realized that not being in the program was just plain stupid. Yay!

5:35 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Woo-Hoo!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home