Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My Little Honey

I just returned from a brief trip into Penn Station to get some lunch. Normally (about 95% of the time) I go to one of the many soup places that can be found in the station, but today I felt like something a little more fattening and greasy...



So I ordered some chicken strips and a side of macaroni & cheese. The woman behind the counter asked me what kind of sauce I wanted for the chicken and I asked her if she had plain honey. I have a strong dislike for honey-mustard sauce (which probably makes me un-American in some corners) but like the sweetness of just honey. She threw a couple packets of honey into my bag and I was on my way.
When I returned to my desk and began taking everything out of the bag, I noticed that the honey was not what I had expected. Instead of a yellow packet of plain old honey, I was given a packet of "Honey Sauce".
What, you may be asking, is Honey Sauce?? Well, I have no idea. It looks like honey, it smells like honey, it tastes like honey; but it's not really honey. Instead it is a mixture of ingredients:
High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Honey, Corn Syrup, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color

My favorite part is that the third ingredient is actually honey!! Why did they have to create some chemical compound that includes honey when they could have just put real honey in a packet and let it go at that. It's not as if honey goes bad or is hard to store. Why not just use real honey?? To me, the real stuff is sweet enough without adding HFCS, Sugar, and more Corn Syrup. What are the people at KFC thinking?

I would write more about this thrilling topic, but I'm hungry and my food is getting cold and this "Honey Sauce" is just too delicious to pass up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Among the many things that just piss me off: flooding the marketplace with manufactured, packaged "value-added" simulations of real stuff, making real stuff unavailable. See http://www.mollygolightly.com/word/archives/000777.php

Did it taste like, um, honey?

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home