Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar summation

Well, the Oscars were last night (as you all know). I was happy enough with the results, although my predictions weren't completely accurate. The two awards that bugged me the most were Best Picture and Best Actress. I was really hoping that Brokeback would win Best Picture, mostly because it would validate something about Hollywood that people always claim: that Hollywood is more open and comfortable with "non-conforming" relationships (whatever they may be). At least BB got nominated and won for best director and screenplay.
The other award that I was bugged by was Reese Witherspoon winning Best Actress. I base this solely on the fact that that woman annoys me...a lot. I hadn't seen most of the other movies she was up against (or hers for that matter) but in general I have a deep respect for a certain other actress who was nominated (think "Desperate Housewives"). I really would have loved to see her win, especially for a role that seems very difficult to play. Instead, we got the bubbly Mrs. Phillipe. Boo-urns.
Overall, I thought the Oscars were entertaining. John Stewart was funny enough, especially during the more ad-libbed bits. His opening monologue was okay, but I most liked the "Daily Show-esque" political ads and clips. Very funny stuff. All in all I would give Stewart a thumbs-up and wouldn't mind seeing him host again next year.
Your thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

my thoughts mesh entirely with yours (though I don't has as strong a dislike of Reese).

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit, I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. (I intended to, but missed the window somehow and all of my movie-going partners had seen it).

With that caveat in mind: I was actually pretty pleased about Crash winning. It was in no way a flawless movie, but it was interesting, entertaining, and at points, riveting. While it may have been a bit heavy-handed at moments, those moments were rare, and generally it dealt with racism and the power of random chance in a way that few movies do.

I wouldn't fret too much about Brokeback's not winning Best Picture. If it had won, it would have won for political reasons -- Crash certainly did. This year, a lower profile multi-story movie about racism was just a more "daring" pick for the Hollywood brass than a nearly-mainstream sweeping romance between two cowboys.

I was also a bit Peeved about Witherspoon winning best actress (and Rachel Weizman winning best supporting). Not sure why exactly. (Except: she's annoying!) I was very impressed with the difficulty and skill of Felicity Huffman's performance in Transamerica.

As far as Stewart goes, I totally disagree with you. I think he sort of bombed. (But not as badly as I expected). He's a political satirist, not a variety show man, and it showed. I hope, for his sake, that he doesn't host the Oscars again next year.

Sorry comment = so long. It's the first time in many years that I've watched the Oscars the whole way through:)

1:21 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

What's up with y'all's hatred of Ms. Witherspoon? Sure, she cashed out with LB II, but Legally Blonde I was a righteous girly movie. I'm a Reese fan because of "Election". She was awesome in Election. Some might say brilliant. And she was very good in Walk the Line, though I have my doubts about Oscar good. I didn't see the others.

And I have to disagree with Karl about "Millions". NOT family friendly! First of all, little kids--and adults--could hardly understand a damn word. And that robber! The one that is really mean and sneaks around in the attic and threatens little children when their parents aren't around and threatens to hurt those same parents??? Not fun for the little ones. In fact, terrifying.

And I loved Jon Stewart. But it's obvious that Hollywood likes their little lovable lap dog Billy. Billy loves us! Billy never poops on our rug!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lulu, that's fair point about Jon and Billy. I just think that John Stewart wasn't able to show his full potential at the Oscars -- for the same reason as Chris Rock. Satire is almost irrelevant to this thing. It is _by nature_ a self-congratulatory event. I mean... it's an awards show!

That's my $0.02.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home