Thursday, July 27, 2006

What is the Big Project?

Sorry Burb, the Big Project is not related to Harry Potter. There are, in fact, a few big projects going on around here. Many of them are not too exciting, just large. There is one, however, that is very exciting. I have not worked on the project for long (most of it was completed before I was hired) but right now I am helping out with a certain aspect of it. Namely, I am cataloging and prepping samples for the project. Essentially, the project involves creating large kits cover different areas of scientific study: Oil & Gas, Rock/Geology, Chemicals etc.
For one of the kits (Rock/Geology) we put together a collection of different types of rocks and minerals for students to look at as a scientist explains what they are. That cataloging was not the most fun, but it was something different. Today, however, I am handling far more valuable and interesting commodities: fossils!
Currently I am sorting through a box of fossilized shark teeth from the Cenozoic Era (which covers the past 65 million years). Yesterday I was going through a box of fossilized Brachiopods that were over 470 million years old and Ammonites that were from the Mesozoic Era. Most exciting is the box of dinosaur fossils that I am about to open. Even though the cranky seat-stealer is back today I am enjoying myself. Even if it has nothing to do with Harry Potter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home