Monday, July 24, 2006

Randomness and Gilmore Girls

Today has been pretty slow at work. The morning was fairly packed, but since about 1pm it has been dead. Usually during “down” time I take the opportunity to check my private email, write stories, or post on my blog. While the latter has been fairly ignored lately, I have succeeded in moving my current story along at a fairly fast pace. I am not quite sure where the story is heading yet or if, as I’m desperately hoping, it will sustain itself long enough to be a novel, but I feel good about writing it. I don’t feel like I am forcing myself or forcing the words. Everything seems to be coming freely. A few days ago I passed the 10-page/5000-word mark, which is a very good sign. Of everything that I have ever written there has only been one story longer than 5000 words that I never finished. That was a 90-page chaotic word explosion with no direction and little purpose. Throwing that one item away, my track record for writing is pretty solid over the 5K mark. I tend to give up easily on certain stories, abandoning them 2-3 pages in. But once I am past this point, I stick with it even if I don’t think it’s working. I figure, if I’ve put this much into it already, there must be something worthwhile in it. I hope that this one works out the same way. Depending on its final length and my confidence in it, I hope to share the story with you at some point. In the meantime, read on for an insight into my loser life.


I have watched the first 5 seasons of the Gilmore Girls on DVD. The sixth season, which just wrapped up in May, will be coming out on DVD on September 19th. The seventh season will premiere on the CW (the new network created from the collision of the WB and UPN) on September 27th. I am preparing to order the DVDs on Netflix as soon as they are available. Assuming that they become available the 19th and I receive the first three on the 20th, I should be able to watch the entire 6th season in time for the season premiere of season 7. This will, of course, all depend on my own availability to watch many, many hours of television every night, and the US Postal Service’s speed at delivering Netflix movies. The first part should not be a problem because I stay up really late and find Gilmore Girls very addictive. The latter should also be okay since the average turn around time for Netflix is two days. With that in mind, here is my Gilmore Girls schedule:

Sep. 19th: Netflix sends Gilmore Girls Season 6 Discs 1-3 (I will prepare for this by sending back all Netflix discs on Saturday the 16th to make sure that all three GG come at once)
Sep. 20th: I receive Discs 1-3 and begin watching. I plan on watching 1 disc a night.
Sep. 21st: send 1st disc to Netflix
Sep. 22nd: send 2nd disc to Netflix
Sep. 23rd: send 3rd disc to Netflix; receive 4th from Netflix
Sep. 25th: send 4th disc to Netflix
Sep. 26th: receive 5th disc from Netflix
Sep. 27th: send 5th disc to Netflix; receive 6th disc from Netflix (the 6th disc usually only has 1-2 episodes on it, so I will have time to watch both before Gilmore Girls season 7 premieres at 9 pm.)

That’s the plan. I know I’m pathetic. I blame Cordelia.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Of course . . . blame Cordelia for all things Gilmore--that and whatever her name is that writes/produces/directs/bankrolls/promotes/cancels the show.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home