Monday, October 03, 2005

Experimentation

I've decided to start writing a screenplay. I've never written one before and, frankly, have no real clue how to go about writing one. I've written plays before, which turned out to be okay, but I imagine this is a whole new beast. I've looked into taking a screenwriting class but it'll cost me about $400, which is just too much. Maybe instead I'll go to Barnes & Noble and buy "Screenwriting for Dummies" or some such thing. In my mind, buying that book (having to take it up to the counter specifically) would be quite embarrasing, probably on par with purchasing a large tube of hemmorhoid cream. I could always just order it from Amazon and remain anonymous. Yeah, that's probably what I'll do.
After that, all I'll have to do is write the damn thing. But first I have to come up with an idea. Maybe I'll write about a baby elephant lost in the big city. Or about a crack addict who tries to kill the president. Or a crack baby who gets killed by an elephant that's loose in the big city. If anyone has any suggestions (and doesn't mind me completely ripping them off) please suggest them here. As payment, I will be sure to thank you by name when I win an Oscar (or Golden Globe, I'm not greedy). Thanks in advance.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey, here's an idea:

You run a gourmet chocolate store that has all types of chocolate items.

You ask your friends to stop in if they get they time, but they don't because either:
a) a corporately-owned massively big box chocolate shop is opening around the corner and you're worried about being crushed like an elephant crushes a crack baby. It's called "You've Got Chocolate . . . for Now."

If you don't like that then,
b) you're friends don't patronize you because they don't know that you are trying to use your profits to rehabilitate your crack baby, strangly nicknamed "Elephant." It's called "Everybody Hates Elephant."

5:01 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Twenty-something textbook editor with English lit. background leaves the safety and familiarity of his midwestern hometown for the energy and excitement of the Big Apple, encountering a wacky assortment of characters on his journey to cultural mecca, each of whom has a story to tell, which he attempts to repress but instead records in his epic journal for posterity. You could call it "Can't Bury Tales."

3:44 PM  
Blogger Spec said...

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll be sure to let you know when I start writing. I might even post the whole thing when I'm finished, though that won't be for a while.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home